Wednesday, February 19, 2014

This is from a post at Free NC,  "Punishing Sherman's Vandals."

This is an excerpt from that post which is itself an excerpt from a letter written by a soldier in the War of Northern Aggression;

"“A passage from a letter written by Enoch John, one of Shannon’s Scouts, on December 18, 1864, reveals the hard nature of the war waged by these men.

“I have enjoyed myself on this trip but think, sometimes, I am getting hard-hearted,” he wrote.  “But I notice the tears of a lady always
bring tears to me eyes and the smoke and flames of a dwelling prevents the prayers of the Yankees for their lives, even when on their
knees, being heard, and steadies my nerves to kill them all . . . I have a brace of pistols that never snap.”"

Can anyone else foresee feeling this way in the coming counter revolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment